Man on bike hunted by terror police after ‘parcel bomb’ injures 13 in Lyon

0 views
Spread the love


A bomb exploded outside a bakery in Lyon (Picture: AFP, Backgrid)

Police have warned people about a ‘dangerous’ suspect wanted in connection with an explosion in a busy French street.

Authorities are hunting a man following a detonation at a bakery that injured 13 people in Lyon’s central Presqu’ile area yesterday.

An Interior Ministry spokesman confirmed the explosion was caused by a ‘homemade nail bomb’ that contained ‘an explosive charge and nuts and bolts’.

A resident, who lives above the bakery, said: ‘I heard the explosion, then I saw outside, several wounded people taking refuge in the pharmacy. I saw screws spilled on the floor.’

Police have released a CCTV image of a suspect on a bike and described him as wearing light-coloured shorts and a long-sleeved dark top.

Police are hunting this suspect (Picture: Getty Images/AFP)
A victim is taken to hospital (Picture: AFP/Getty Images)
Police at the scene in Lyon (Picture: Backgrid)

The suspect is believed to have deposited a sack or package that exploded at around 5.30pm.

Police union member Alain Bardelis said the man on the bike had his head covered.

Lyon district mayor Denis Broliquier arrived minutes after the explosion at bakery chain Brioche Doree.

He told BFMTV: ‘What I saw was a refrigerated cooler in the Brioche Doree, whose windows had been shattered.

‘It was the windows… that superficially injured the people who were 1, 2 or 3 metres (yards) away.’

He also played down the attack, adding: ‘It’s not the apocalypse … There’s no danger. There’s no risk.’

Terror police are investigating (Picture: BACKGRID)
Soldiers have been seen patrolling around the area (Picture: Backgrid)

The victims, which included a girl, 8, suffered mostly minor injuries.

Authorities confirmed 11 were still in hospital this morning.

France’s counter-terrorism office has launched an investigation.

Lyon Mayor Gerard Collomb said he had no indication about the suspect’s motives.

Authorities are still investigating (Picture: Backgrid)
No one was seriously hurt Picture: AFP/Getty Images)

French President Emmanuel Macron called the explosion an ‘attack’ and also sent sympathies to the injured.

The women’s World Cup football tournament is scheduled to start in France on June 7. Lyon will host the semi-finals, and then the final on July 7.





Source link